- American Documentary Announces $100,000 Knight-AmDoc Kickstarter Patron Fund supported by Knight Foundation
The $100,000 program, supported by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, will use Kickstarter to advance nonfiction film and media projects and help filmmakers promote their work in the 26 cities where Knight invests.
- On Images of Syria
This is a guest post by Julia Meltzer, filmmaker of Dalya's Other Country (POV 2017) and Mustafa Rony Zeno, producer and film subject.
- Statement in Support of 'Last Men in Aleppo'
American Documentary's statement in support of 'Last Men in Aleppo,' its filmmakers and its film subjects.
- AMERICA REFRAMED UNFILTERED: Confronting Inequality – On Screen and Off
For Ahkeem is the coming-of-age story of Daje "Boonie" Shelton, a Black 17-year-old girl in North St. Louis. After a school fight lands Boonie in a court-supervised high school, she's determined to turn things around and build a better future for herself and her son. Through Daje's intimate experience in and out of school, For Ahkeem illuminates the challenges many Black teenagers face in America today.In this UNFILTERED blog post, Landon Van Soest, who co-directed the film with Jeremy S. Levine, examines the implications, challenges, and responsibilities of making a documentary film across race and class.
- Critical Acclaim for 'Do Not Resist'
A roundup of some critical acclaim for Do Not Resist.
- AMERICA REFRAMED UNFILTERED: People Do Care
In the following UNFILTERED blog post, the team behind Gentlemen of Vision share how audiences connect to authentic characters and heartfelt storytelling.
- How POV Became Former Executive Producer Simon Kilmurry's Very Own “Film School”
In our blog’s ongoing series of former EPs writing about POV's 30th anniversary, Simon Kilmurry recalls how he first came across POV as a viewer.
- 4 Tips to Making a Successful Documentary Series: Former EP Cara Mertes on POV's 30th Anniversary
What makes a successful television documentary series? Cara Mertes gives us some tips as part of our blog's ongoing series of former EPs reflecting on 30 years.
- American Documentary Heads Into 2018 With New Board Members
American Documentary (AmDoc), the parent organization of the PBS documentary series POV, announced the addition of John Limotte and Joi Thomas to the board of directors today.
- Former Executive Producer Lisa Heller Reflects on 30 Years
The third letter in our series of letters from past executive producers for POV comes from Lisa Heller.
- From POV Skeptic to POV Executive Producer: Former EP Ellen Schneider Reflects on 30 Years
Continuing our series of letters from past executive producers for POV, Ellen Schneider admits her initial skepticism of the new program, and her surprise when audiences and the press alike couldn't get enough of the show's initial programming.
- Why It's Important to Be Open to Experimentation as a Film Editor
Geoffrey Richman shares why experimenting with ideas in the edit room can lead to great discoveries.
- How It All Began: POV Founder Marc Weiss Talks About The Series' Beginning
POV's founder and first executive producer Marc Weiss writes about the hopes and challenges of creating an entire television series dedicated to independent documentaries.
- POV Season 30 Film 'Last Men in Aleppo' Makes Academy Shortlist for Documentary Feature Oscar
Feras Feyyad's 'Last Men in Aleppo' has made it to the shortlist of 15 films being considered for the Documentary Feature Oscar for the 90th Academy Awards.
- America ReFramed’s 'Class of ’27' Wins Alfred I. duPont-Columbia Award
The acclaimed documentary Class of ’27 has won an Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Award for broadcast journalism, announced by Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism.
- When History is Silent: Overcoming Trauma Through the Restoration of Cultural Memory
As November wraps up, we'd like to honor it as Native American Heritage Month by exploring the themes of history, memory, and trauma in two recently-broadcast America ReFramed films.
- A Poignant Follow Up to 'Almost Sunrise'
"Voices of Resilience: Insight From Injury" short film further explores moral injury
- Three POV Films Nominated for Film Independent Spirit Awards
Three POV films have been nominated for the 2018 FIlm Independent Spirit Awards, announced today by Film Independent.